Why do some controllers not work anymore?

So, I just received an IPEGA Classic Controller - same one here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLS … ge_o02_s00

I can't get this thing to work with any iOS games at all. This looks identical to the Mad Catz CTRLi controller. Whats different internally that allows the Mad Catz to work?

Is this an Apple Certification thing?

Yep, it's a certification issue. MFi controllers are MFi certified (thus the name), which means they include a special chip which verifies them as being official products. The Ipega stuff works by emulating a keyboard, and certain older games work with that standard.

If you're jailbroken, you MAY be able to use Controllers for All to make it work - I haven't tested this one.

Sorry for the bad news

Lame. Well thanks for the reply! Good to know. I'll just return this for Amazon credit and grab the Mad Catz one.

Thanks!

No problem, happy to help!

Consider the PXN Speedy as an option, too. It's very similar to the Mad Catz (same OEM), but with a much better d-pad

PXN Speedy Link

Kevin wrote:

No problem, happy to help!

Consider the PXN Speedy as an option, too. It's very similar to the Mad Catz (same OEM), but with a much better d-pad

PXN Speedy Link

Thanks! Just grabbed one of these from Amazon. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, I wanted to get an IPEGA controller too before I found out about MFi Certifications. The one with the volume control looked very promising, but you gotta check compatible devices. Enjoy your game addictions! 😊

Last edited by DemortionMobile (Mar 16 6:51 AM)