Gamevice for iPhone Question

My wife has stolen my Steelseries Nimbus for her iPad (she plays a ton of Minecraft PE), and I'm eyeing a replacement to use with my iPhone 7+. I could get another Nimbus, but I'm kinda looking at the Gamevice for iPhone instead (since the Nimbus has no iPhone grip that doesn't cost the same amount as the controller). I'm a tad hesitant on Speedy (with the Bluetooth issues only recently being resolved), but that's my next choice. Have there been any software updates to fix the issues with the headphone jack?

Hey,

I don't think they ever updated the firmware for the headphone jack, but there's a new iPhone 7 model on the horizon. I'd wait for that 😉

Hi,

As much as I liked the speedy, don't bother. I went from that to a Nimbus. The difference was major, much more responsive. In sold the speedy straight away. Such a shame about the nyko grips, I have 2 and in NZ you can still get them for around $16 from pbtech. Holds my 7+ and iPad mini 4 perfectly!

Last edited by Jackaluk (Jan 01 12:44 PM)

Jackaluk wrote:

Hi,

As much as I liked the speedy, don't bother. I went from that to a Nimbus. The difference was major, much more responsive. In sold the speedy straight away. Such a shame about the nyko grips, I have 2 and in NZ you can still get them for around $16 from pbtech. Holds my 7+ and iPad mini 4 perfectly!

Agreed. The Speedy was a great controller when it was released, but the next-generation controllers have passed it by.

I finally put together what I think is the best solution for gaming on the go right now I picked up the Steelseries Nimbus and had a mount for my iPhone 3D printed locally for about $10. I can adjust the phone to any angle and remove the mount for when I want to use it with my AppleTV or iPhone hooked up via hdmi.  The gamevice looked great to me but you are stuck with mobile gaming only and can't take advantage of the docked experiences like with the Nimbus.  The link to the 3D files is below if you wanted to look into this for yourself.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1666533

pman09012 wrote:

I finally put together what I think is the best solution for gaming on the go right now I picked up the Steelseries Nimbus and had a mount for my iPhone 3D printed locally for about $10. I can adjust the phone to any angle and remove the mount for when I want to use it with my AppleTV or iPhone hooked up via hdmi.  The gamevice looked great to me but you are stuck with mobile gaming only and can't take advantage of the docked experiences like with the Nimbus.  The link to the 3D files is below if you wanted to look into this for yourself.

Wow, that looks outstanding! Thanks for sharing - I'm going to have to look into making one of these

How do I modify this to hold an iPhone 7+?

Last edited by Vohu (Jan 03 2:23 AM)

If you want to use this with a iPhone 7plus without a case there is no modification required it fits perfectly, after the print I took everything to Ace Hardware and they helped me fit a nut a bolt as well as pickup a handful of washers.  I placed the washers in the middle and the fiction of the washers and plastic is almost enough to hold everything in place alone.  I have tightened down the bolt a bit, but right now it is a little loose and still works great.  There is another model on Thingiverse for a iPhone 6plus mount with a thin case, but I didn't have much luck with that, I'm going to look into how to modify these files to fit with my case, but for now I'm quite happy with how everything came out.

pman09012 wrote:

Sorry for clarification but I don't have a printer so I have to order this so I want to be sure, you are using this exact one you linked here on an iPhone 7 Plus?   Thank you in advanced for your answer and the link to begin with!

I am using this with my iPhone 7plus, when you look to get it printed there are four files ones you want are Nimbus_iphonemount_gamepad.stl and Nimbus_iphonemount_iphone6_plus.stl the other two files are for iPhone 6 sized phones.  I used 3D Hubs to find a person willing to do the print locally so I could just go and pick it up after it was done and I personally think that it looks pretty sharp in orange.