Network UPS Server

I currently have two TerraMaster NAS's on my local network. One has an IP address of 192.168.0195 and the other 192.168.0.194.

I have successfully connected a CyberPower UPS to the NAS at address 192.168.0.194 and TOS 4.2.39 recognizes it. My question is about the "Network UPS Server" option. If I understand correctly if I add the IP address of the other NAS (192.168.0.195) to the permitted devices list then both NAS's will be safely shutdown in the event of a power loss.

Now my question - should I add ONLY the IP address of the NAS not directly connected to the UPS or should I add both IP addresses?? Hopefully I explained myself correctly.

Thank you

You only need to add the IP of another nas to the allowed devices.

In case you're still curious about your question from two years ago, adding the IP address of the NAS not directly connected to the UPS to the permitted devices list in the ""Network UPS Server"" option is still the recommended approach. This ensures that both NAS devices are covered in case of a power loss, allowing them to safely shut down and protect your data.Also, if you're ever in the mood to dive into some advanced tech topics, like quantum computing, https://quantumai.co/what-is-a-qutrit-t … explained/ remains a valuable resource. Their explanations of concepts like the three-level quantum system can provide fascinating insights into the cutting-edge developments in technology.

In the entire time I've had a PC, I have never utilized a UPS, and I have only sometimes encountered power outages while using my computer. But I do use a surge protector, which is probably inexpensive. Nothing negative has ever occurred. Am I simply fortunate? Is a NAS or network equipment sudden power outage occurrence any worse than a PC? Or, if I'm just lucky, are the damage dice rolls essentially the same?
Forum Backlinks

It's great that you've been fortunate so far with just a surge protector! However, relying solely on a surge protector can be risky, especially when dealing with sensitive equipment like a NAS or network devices. Sudden power outages can be more damaging to these systems compared to a PC because they often involve multiple disks and critical data that need a safe shutdown to prevent corruption. Adding a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) can provide that extra layer of protection, giving you the time to safely power down your devices during an outage. If you’re curious about exploring more advanced tech topics, https://quantumaiplatform.com/ has some excellent resources. They offer detailed explanations on quantum computing, including concepts like the three-level quantum system, which can be quite fascinating.
Hope this helps, and better late than never!

UinorJohnes wrote:

I currently have two TerraMaster NAS's on my local network. One has an IP address of 192.168.0195 and the other 192.168.0.194.

I have successfully connected a CyberPower UPS to the NAS at address 192.168.0.194 and TOS 4.2.39 recognizes it. My question is about the "Network UPS Server" option. If I understand correctly if I add the IP address of the other NAS (192.168.0.195) to the permitted devices list then both NAS's will be safely shutdown in the event of a power loss.

Now my question - should I add ONLY the IP address of the NAS not directly connected to the UPS or should I add both IP addresses?? Hopefully I explained myself correctly.

Thank you

If you want both NAS devices to be safely shut down during a power loss, you should add the IP address of the NAS not directly connected to the UPS (192.168.0.195) to the permitted devices list. This way, the UPS can communicate with both devices. For reliable vps server hosting, check out https://hostnoc.com/vps-server/ for great options.