Gamevice Live App Now Available

I was afraid that the Gamevice was destined to be vapourware. I've watched the videos read updates or lack off on their facebook page and was resigned to this Ipad only controller never seeing the light of day.

But in what seems to be a major development Wikipad have released a Gamevice app on the app store detailing what seems to be all MFI compatable games that will work with the controller.

I am myself quite intrigued about this controller as it reminds me off the WII U controller which I find quite comfy. But there is one major thing for me, I'm still rocking an Ipad 3 which means no MFI love (I was an early adopter of the Icade and looking to upgrade this year).

So is there anyone out there that would consider this for their Ipad Mini or Ipad Air or would you still prefer a stand alone contoller and stand?

Welcome to the site 😊

Yeah, it's definitely not vaporware. Coming very soon; I should have some more info to share in the near future!

I vastly prefer the feel of the Gamevice to the Wii U controller. A bit more more "premium", which is impressive, because Nintendo makes solid products.

Speaking personally, I've never been a fan of stand-alone controllers with iPhones and iPads. The Gamevice is exactly the thing I've been waiting for since the MFi program was originally announced.

I'm glad there are a lot of great bluetooth controller options out there for people, but they aren't for me. At least not until an Apple TV comes out that can use them 😉

Personally I'm waiting for something like the Gamevice for my 6+. I have a mini 3 as well but I would rather have it on the 6+, as the mini gets a bit unwieldy IMHO (based on experience with the IPEGA 9023)

I can't wait for this to come out! I may use it as an excuse to upgrade from my iPad 2 😉

Kevin wrote:

Welcome to the site 😊

I vastly prefer the feel of the Gamevice to the Wii U controller. A bit more more "premium", which is impressive, because Nintendo makes solid products.

Speaking personally, I've never been a fan of stand-alone controllers with iPhones and iPads. The Gamevice is exactly the thing I've been waiting for since the MFi program was originally announced.

Thanks for the welcome,

I've never really got on with standing the Ipad and using standalone controllers as to me it didn't make sense.

If it feels more premium than a Wii U controller then I'd say there heading in the right direction as the only thing what let it down was the woeful battery.From what I understand the battery life on the Gamevice is impressive and will out last a fully charged Ipad mini.

I take it you have had hands on time with it and are under some sort of NDA agreement?

I'm not really under an NDA for things related to the controller. I signed one for other things, but my impressions of the controller are all public!

Gamevice Hands-On Preview

They've sent me several prototypes, and incorporated my feedback and suggestions into subsequent versions. So if you end up hating the controller, you can partly blame me 😜

(Original Article)

For those worried that the Gamevice might turn out to be vaporware, this should go a long way towards quelling your fears: Gamevice’s companion app, Gamevice Live, is now available on the App Store!

I worked with the folks at Gamevice to get them access to my game database to create theirs, so their app should be reasonably up-to-date with the releases cataloged here at AfterPad.

More information about the Gamevice controller will be coming very soon; the controller itself won’t be too far behind!

Well I hope your cooperation with them will be more fruitful than mine. I helped them out a bit before the Wikipad came out, was promised one as a thank you, and never heard a thing after they stopped needing my help. I didn't push it as I didn't have much use for the thing in any case, but understandably I trust them about as far as I can throw them as a result.

Just read the Gamevice preview, high praise indeed it seems that people who like to game on their Ipad have a really good controller on the way.

Well... I tried the App. Good that it was free, because I probably would have regretted paying for that. Not only does that app provide little to no additional value compared to your website. (OK, it does seem to have controller mappings for some games) But it also looks pretty ugly. It doesn't even load the retina icons of the games, so everything looks blurry. The app kinda looks like a website with a little PhoneGap around. I'll definitely stick with your website. Why should I wait until something scrapes the info from your site and adds it to their app when I can access the source directly? 😄

I really hope there was something in there for you, because I don't see why you would fork your database over to them easily. Pretty sure, you put a lot of work in your database.

Long story short: AfterPad Website yay, Gamevice Live App nay!

Cheers,

-joe

joedemo42 wrote:

Well... I tried the App. Good that it was free, because I probably would have regretted paying for that. Not only does that app provide little to no additional value compared to your website. (OK, it does seem to have controller mappings for some games) But it also looks pretty ugly. It doesn't even load the retina icons of the games, so everything looks blurry. The app kinda looks like a website with a little PhoneGap around. I'll definitely stick with your website. Why should I wait until something scrapes the info from your site and adds it to their app when I can access the source directly? 😄

I really hope there was something in there for you, because I don't see why you would fork your database over to them easily. Pretty sure, you put a lot of work in your database.

Cheers,

-joe

I heartily second this!

I'm just glade the gamevice is close to being released, been waiting a while for this.When can we expect it?
Only thing it seems it might be better for the  iPad mini than AIR, looks like it might be a bit unwieldy to hold with the bigger iPad. Hopefully it works with the iPad pro 😊
Kevin have you tried it with a iPad ? Or is the mini your preferred device?
Love the new form section!

Last edited by MOFO (May 16 6:28 AM)

Agree with other comments regarding the Gamevice app, it's very clunky and still needs plenty of work (even crashed on me a number of times). One way of the improving the app would be to add controller mappings to all the games, but I'd imagine this would take some time indeed.

Lift the Camel wrote:

joedemo42 wrote:

Cheers,

-joe

I heartily second this!

Farmboy74 wrote:

Agree with other comments regarding the Gamevice app, it's very clunky and still needs plenty of work (even crashed on me a number of times). One way of the improving the app would be to add controller mappings to all the games, but I'd imagine this would take some time indeed.

Thanks for the comments! I've put much effort into the design and layout of my site and list; glad to hear that's appreciated 😊

The controller mapping thing is pretty cool, I'll definitely give them that. I think I need to start doing that in some form for AfterPad; it's just an overwhelming amount of work.

I think I'll set up some sort of user-submitted controller info form, where gamers (and developers) can help fill out mappings in their favorite games. I just don't have time to go into almost 700 games and build it myself - I'd rather spend that time writing articles or adding new features to the site!

joedemo42 wrote:

They payed me a bit for the database dump, I have no complaints there. They didn't have to - it would have taken less than an hour to write a program to scrape the html of my site and build their own. I don't get any continued commission from them, however; I supplied the database, they payed me, now we're on our own.

When building my list, I've always looked at the other lists out there. The various controller makers used to keep lists, which I'd use to fill in gaps. Now it's down to me and Mfi4gamerz - we're always racing to see who discovers the latest controller compatible game 😉

MOFO wrote:

I'm just glade the gamevice is close to being released, been waiting a while for this.When can we expect it?
Only thing it seems it might be better for the  iPad mini than AIR, looks like it might be a bit unwieldy to hold with the bigger iPad. Hopefully it works with the iPad pro 😊
Kevin have you tried it with a iPad ? Or is the mini your preferred device?
Love the new form section!

I do not NOT have the Air version yet, much to my chagrin.

The Mini was my preferred device, right up until Apple neutered it last year. Now I'm using the Air 2, and I've come around to preferring the larger iPad.

One of the more clever things about the Gamevice is the inward-tilted handles. They seem backwards at first, but it makes sense because of how wide the device is. Position your hands and arms like you're holding a controller, then pivot your elbows out, and you'll see what I mean.

I played with an early prototype of the Air Gamevice at CES, and it was just as good as the Mini version. There may be situations where it's worse - gaming in bed comes to mind - but I haven't tested those situations.