Mfi dropping after ios10 update. Anyone else?

Have an iPad Pro 9.7 and iPhone 6, both updated with ios10. Since the update have noticed bluetooth dropping during gameplay with both PXN Speedy and Mad Catz Mfi controllers on iPad only. Have reset network settings on iPad, repaired controllers, tried pairing only the controllers [no other bt devices] and both controllers yield same connection issue. They both seem to work on the iPhone 6. Anyone else experience similar connectivity issues?

I have an Ipad Air 2 and PXN speedy - having the exact same issue. No problems prior to IOS10 update.

Very frustrating and dissapointing.

I have a Mad Catz CTRLi and have the same issues. Bluetooth disconnects at random with my iPad Pro 12.9" and my iPhone7. Both running iOS 10.0.1. I also have reset my network setting, but it did not help. I never had any problems with iOS 9 and have contacted Mad Catz about the issue. They say it is an iOS 10 problem and I should contact Apple... Sigh... Frustrating! I am gonna contact Apple...

i contacted apple yesterday and they wanted me to backup and do a full reset/wipe on my ipad to make sure it's not a hardware problem. i tried explaining that it's likely not HW as the issue is affecting both iphone and ipad and only after ios10 update. was short of time and had to terminate session. will try again some time this week. i feel the more people who contact them re this issue the better.

Last edited by squareeyes (Sep 19 9:29 AM)

Hey everybody,

I haven't experienced any of these issues on the beta firmware versions, on any of my primary devices (iPhone 6S, iPad Pro 12.9). I also haven't experienced the issue on the release build of iOS 10, on the iPhone 7+, 6S, or iPad.

I'll dig up some older devices, test with every controller, and try to find a way to reliably reproduce the issue you're all talking about. I'll also link to this discussion on the front page, hopefully get some attention directed at the problem, and maybe even find a fix!

Possibly not the same issue? but since the iOS 10 update my Horipad Wireless's directional input gets stuck left, right, or however on screen after 3-4 minutes of gameplay and the game doesn't accept any other input from the controller. (iPad Air 2)

Last edited by tbull (Sep 19 8:08 PM)

Various problems with iPhone 7, iOS 10 and the CTRLi.

Often the controller seems connected, but doesn't register inputs right. As in the app thinks a controller is indeed connected, but nothing registers on button press. Or, after working a little, it stops. Resetting multiple times seems the only workaround.

Really hope the Speedy works or gets update, I was about to buy one.

squareeyes wrote:

i contacted apple yesterday and they wanted me to backup and do a full reset/wipe on my ipad to make sure it's not a hardware problem.

I've done this twice, same result. Controller works fine for roughly 20 minutes then just drops the connection. My thoughts are that it is a battery saving feature in IOS10, and the OS thinks it needs to go into saving mode. There was a small thread on reddit suggesting that low power bluetooth devices had issues since beta 1 and apple has not responded to the issue.

<edit> collecting threads, all bluetooth and connection related

https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/commen … s_10_beta/
https://www.reddit.com/r/iosgaming/
https://www.reddit.com/r/iosgaming/comm … _on_ios10/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pebble/comment … 10_update/

Last edited by IHogDogI (Sep 19 11:01 PM)

update to my marathon csr session with apple. they're pointing back to the device mfctrs' firmware. service manager did acknowledge ios device [ipad/iphone] bluetooth was updated in last ios10 update. will contact mad catz some time this week. don't readily see much for support of the pxn speedy online. i'll check original packaging this week and try to contact them as well. i hate this finger pointing bs. please let me know if anyone else hears back from apple or controller mctrs with hope for fix. cheers, rc

Last edited by squareeyes (Sep 20 7:25 AM)

I have tested my CTRLi with my sons iPad mini 2 with iOS 9.3.5 and the controller works fine, no disconnects. With my iPhone 7 and iPad Pro 12.9" on iOS 10 I have disconnects at random with any MFI game, mostly after a minute of 10 or so. I have contacted Mad Catz and given them the results of my testing and also told them about the findings of you guys over here. The friendly support guy from Mad Catz will send my test results to the developers of Mad Catz and they will contact Apple - trying to solve the problem. So I think it is best that we contact the MFI gampad manufacturers, to get them moving to fix this annoying and frustrating problem.

thanks wetterthoun! kevin/moderator, any way to contact pxn speedy team for firmware update? can't find much about mctr online and your review mentioned they're an oem team who emailed you. would love to keep using their controller.

Last edited by squareeyes (Sep 20 7:44 AM)

squareeyes wrote:

thanks wetterthoun! kevin/moderator, any way to contact pxn speedy team for firmware update? can't find much about mctr online and your review mentioned they're an oem team who emailed you. would love to keep using their controller.

+1 on this. I only bought the controller a couple of months back based on Kevin's review. I don't feel like dropping more money on a replacement.

Also I was also going to ask if there is a way to log reports and email addresses to log bugs. Apart from the community apple forum there just doesn't seem any appropriate place to leave feedback for Apple.

Hey everybody,

Thanks for all the feedback; great research on this stuff. The more info we have, the easier it will be to convince the relevant parties to fix the problem.

Apple has a bug report system, and we'll definitely want to file reports there. I will absolutely get in touch with every contact I have at these controller companies to try to get firmware updates.

tbull wrote:

Possibly not the same issue? but since the iOS 10 update my Horipad Wireless's directional input gets stuck left, right, or however on screen after 3-4 minutes of gameplay and the game doesn't accept any other input from the controller. (iPad Air 2)

Experiencing exactly this issue. I'm using a PXN Speedy Controller and an iPhone SE.

Last edited by vortgrenade (Sep 20 6:34 PM)

I've been trying to find an action (restarting app, toggling Bluetooth, removing batteries) that will get things working again. So far removing batteries and restarting the whole phone have each worked once, but not sure if it was random or not.

Really feel like going on a rant about iOS gaming. We can't have OS updates break games and controllers every year. So many good games gone; Jet Set Radio, Bioshock. Apple needs a "compatibility mode" or something. It's money down the drain.