Connecting MFi controllers to OS X

I've been sitting for quite a while trying to connect the MOGA REBEL to my Mac. As far as I could find, there are virtually no games or apps supporting MFi controllers on Mac, but I coded up a little test application. My sample code is working just fine on iOS, but on OS X it just won't detect the controller.

Am I wrong in assuming that MFi controllers should be paired using the Bluetooth preferences on my Mac? Or is it just that the MOGA REBEL doesn't support Mac? I'd assume Mac/iOS/tvOS is automatically supported using just the iAP2 protocol?

I'm trying to play Wii/GC-games (with Dolphin) using this controller, as it is the only controller I have. Obviously I'll code support for it (Dolphin being open-source), I just need to figure out how to connect the damn thing first.

Update: Sent a mail to Moga, asking if it should support OS X natively. Hoping for a quick answer.

Last edited by taklampe (Nov 02 6:14 AM)

Hey,

Unfortunately, there's no way to make the Rebel work with the Mac. I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone as to why - it seems like an issue with the Bluetooth chips used by the controller.

The SteelSeries controllers are the only MFi controllers that work with the Mac.

Well, that's annoying. Thanks for letting me know!

No problem, sorry for the bad news!

I wouldn't expect an answer out of MOGA, either. They appear to have gone out of business.

So does the new Steelseries Nimbus work well for Mac Gaming? I have some games that I have purchased from Steam and GOG.com that are Mac OS compatible, but I have no Mac controller besides a mouse and keyboard.

I believe that developers have to explicitly support MFi controllers, so even though games may support normal controllers, I don't think they will support the Nimbus out of the box.

I did get a fairly cryptic response from MOGA: http://m.imgur.com/FomXDUU

taklampe wrote:

I believe that developers have to explicitly support MFi controllers, so even though games may support normal controllers, I don't think they will support the Nimbus out of the box.

I did get a fairly cryptic response from MOGA: http://m.imgur.com/FomXDUU

Yeah, that's not accurate for the Apple TV, at least. MFi controllers DO control the interface, and they do work with all games, regardless of whether they're specifically programmed to support them.

On the Mac, it has to do with the Bluetooth connection itself. If the controller connects, you can manually map it to work in any game with manual controller options

jase wrote:

So does the new Steelseries Nimbus work well for Mac Gaming? I have some games that I have purchased from Steam and GOG.com that are Mac OS compatible, but I have no Mac controller besides a mouse and keyboard.

I'll give it a test later, but I wouldn't be too optimistic about it. Controller support in Mac games is far, far behind Windows and iOS.

I have a SteelSeries Stratus, which works with my iPad and the Apple TV 4, but not with my mid-2012 retina MacBook Pro.  It'll pair in the Bluetooth panel of System Preferences, but the test software I've written never receives API notifications for game controller connections from it.  To be fair, the product page for the Stratus does only claim it'll work with iOS devices.  Only the Stratus XL and Nimbus claim Mac compatibility.

Last edited by Sebkha (Nov 10 4:53 AM)

@Sebkha,
I have requirement to communicate with Nimbus controller using Bluetooth. As you were trying to get similar solution, Please let me know,Nimbus controller and Mac book pro communication is possible using bluetooth. If yes, Please guide me how to get command information which Nimbus is using?

One year ago, when I implemented MFi GC support in Necropolys Encounter for iOS and tvOS, I also did some tests on the Mac with the Stratus XL. The test code did not detect all API calls on the Mac. I don't remember if it was a button, a trigger/shoulder, or a thumbstick that was not detected. Haven't tried with the Nimbus and the most recent macOS. In Apple Stores in Canada they carry the SteelSeries Nimbus and the Horipad Ultimate, and they both have the Mac compatibility icon printed on the box.

Last edited by Pegasone (Nov 16 11:39 AM)

Kevin wrote:

I'll give it a test later, but I wouldn't be too optimistic about it. Controller support in Mac games is far, far behind Windows and iOS.

This is very true. Though I have had a decent amount of success using my Xbox One controller and the drivers found here.

The only MFi controller I have is a Moga Rebel, and the bluetooth chip in it certainly has issues. You cannot connect it to a Mac, and using it with the Apple TV is very hit or miss. It seems if a game has you using both analog sticks and a button/trigger, it disconnects. Looking forward to eventually getting a Nimbus so I don't have so many crazy issues.