Games section feedback

Hi Kevin.

Do you plan to add a search option in the MFi games list? Because the "all games" list is getting bigger everyday, an option to search if a specific game has controller support would be nice!

Awesome site, by the way!

Jinjas wrote:

Hi Kevin.

Do you plan to add a search option in the MFi games list? Because the "all games" list is getting bigger everyday, an option to search if a specific game has controller support would be nice!

Glad you like the site!

It'll come, it's harder than it seems to implement one. Categories and genre sorting will come before native search.

You can actually search the game list right now in mobile Safari. Type your search term into URL bar, and choose the bottom option in the search bar to search in-page.

Kevin wrote:

Jinjas wrote:

Hi Kevin.

Glad you like the site!

It'll come, it's harder than it seems to implement one. Categories and genre sorting will come before native search.

You can actually search the game list right now in mobile Safari. Type your search term into URL bar, and choose the bottom option in the search bar to search in-page.

Yes, the safari search option is an alternative solution for now, but even with the performance tuning that you made (and it was a very good job, by the way!) in the mobile site, load more than 700 game icons, texts and links to use the safari search is taking a long time, considering cellular connections in my area.

But it was just a feedback for you to add in your backlog list. I know that should be a list of other implementations being planned!

Thank you!

Nah, you're right, I know search needs to come. It just comes with a lot of downsides, too. Keyword searching means I need to add app descriptions, keywords, and genres to my database. That would cause the database itself to vastly increase in size. Think 10-20x bigger.

That would cause noticable increases to page load time, even if I aggressively cache. At the same time, it would mean less trips to the "all games" page, which has grown far too large.

A better web programmer could probably sort this out fast, but I'm still learning that stuff 😉
I work one step at a time. Better genre sorting, filtering, and more useful categories is something I could do much faster, and would serve some of the same uses.