Multiple controllers

as a developer aiming to support multiple controllers, out of interest, who out there has more than one MFi controller?

I had both the Mad Catz and Moga Rebel at one point. I don't like that both controllers seem to have stick dead zone. Tho I read this is a software adjustment on the games side, all the games I've played seem to suffer equally. I miss the attached holder and mate finish of the Rebel but like the Mad Catz size as it's easier to touch the screen while attached. This is useful for games that still call up the screen as well as other needs like typing out messages/searching safari. The gloss finish really bothers me. I find such a finish on a controller is meritless. The AAA power source isn't much of a bother on my end as I have eneloop rechargeable batteries which I rate highly.

Welcome to the forums, guys!

Zwilnik wrote:

as a developer aiming to support multiple controllers, out of interest, who out there has more than one MFi controller?

Seems like users with multiple controllers make up a small subset of the user base out there. I would expect this to change more as new model controllers launch at lower price points, thus encouraging people to upgrade, and use the old controller for player 2...

UnityIsPower wrote:

I had both the Mad Catz and Moga Rebel at one point. I don't like that both controllers seem to have stick dead zone. Tho I read this is a software adjustment on the games side, all the games I've played seem to suffer equally. I miss the attached holder and mate finish of the Rebel but like the Mad Catz size as it's easier to touch the screen while attached. This is useful for games that still call up the screen as well as other needs like typing out messages/searching safari. The gloss finish really bothers me. I find such a finish on a controller is meritless. The AAA power source isn't much of a bother on my end as I have eneloop rechargeable batteries which I rate highly.

To me, the biggest issue with the Rebel is the constant crashing. The matte finish and integrated holder were nice, but the pad just never worked that well.

The upcoming Contour controller from TteSports looks to be a very similar design to the Rebel, hopefully with more functional components...

I just bought both the Mad Catz Ctrl i and Moga Rebel. Just finished Strangers Wrath with both of them and I got to say the Ctrl i feels better in your hand but the rebel is a better portable option because of the foldable arm.I will probably never play a iOS game with touch controls again. As it feels so ocward in comparison to the gamepads.

Klayerone wrote:

I will probably never play a iOS game with touch controls again. As it feels so ocward in comparison to the gamepads.

I can't say that myself. As much as I want better controller support, some games do very well with touch. One example that I really love is Vainglory. The way they implemented the FTP layer is also not detrimental to the gameplay mechanics like others. Clash of Clans for example is more of a chore then enjoyment the way progression and game mechanics are structured.

I'm hoping most for sticks with no dead zone at this point. I'm willing to keep buying controllers to try out but I'll never truly be happy unless that's addressed.

UnityIsPower wrote:

I'm hoping most for sticks with no dead zone at this point. I'm willing to keep buying controllers to try out but I'll never truly be happy unless that's addressed.

The best I've found is the Horipad, you might want to give it a shot. It has lower deadzones in testing than my 360 and Xbox One controllers! Doesn't help games with integrated dead zones, though.

Kevin wrote:

The best I've found is the Horipad, you might want to give it a shot. It has lower deadzones in testing than my 360 and Xbox One controllers! Doesn't help games with integrated dead zones, though.

I'm not a fan of the layout but might give it a try.

Last edited by UnityIsPower (May 09 12:18 AM)

Zwilnik wrote:

I have a ctrli and a stratus, but the stratus had been kinda hit or miss (mostly miss since iOS 8)