The Gamevice is Now Available!

As far as I've seen, the MFi standard really doesn't require circular d-pads. Maybe it did at one time, but not anymore.

Nintendo's patents on the plus-shaped d-pad expired a few years back, which is why you now see Microsoft and Sony using those d-pads for some of their controllers.

I'm guessing the circular depression around the Gamevice's d-pad is there because the Xbox One controller's d-pad also has that depression. The Gamevice really wants to be an Xbox One controller...

Maybe. I just find it odd.  If you do a search for "Hori" on Amazon, you get over 300 hits.  Just about every hit you get with a D-Pad has a cross shape (I'd say 90%, easy). The only ones that have a circular D-Pad are the HoriPad and a couple of gimmicky looking Street Fighter branded controllers.

Anyway, I read a rumor that said that the iPad Air 3 would have the same dimensions as the Air 2.  So the Gamevice for Air was looking like a nice option.  But now I see that the Gamevice for the Air isn't flush with the tablet - the iPad juts out from the top and bottom.  Makes it a little less desirable.

There's definitely d-pad requirements as part of the MFi standard, and most of the plus-shaped d-pads out there wouldn't be permitted. But the requirements don't ban ALL of them - there are ways of making a plus-shaped d-pad work. I hope more manufacturers follow Gamevice's lead.

Though to be fair, the Horipad has a killer d-pad. Circular ones don't HAVE to be terrible.

This is a long shot, but does anyone know if there's a way to use the Gamevice to turn pages in Kindle/Instapaper/Goodreader/Reeder/etc.? The Gamevice's form factor is really conducive to reading in bed, and it'd be super convenient to be able to flip pages (ideally using the L/R triggers) or scroll down a page without having to paw at the screen. Anyone know if there's a way to make this happen?

Last edited by trdn89 (Aug 09 2:29 AM)

They have went silent on air 2 version, only comment I can get is they are just focusing on mini for now.  Very sad if air version doesn't make it

Amacon18 wrote:

They have went silent on air 2 version, only comment I can get is they are just focusing on mini for now.  Very sad if air version doesn't make it

As far as I know, it's still coming. I wouldn't worry about it - the Air version is the one most hardcore gamers have been waiting for, they won't abandon it 😉

Kevin wrote:

Amacon18 wrote:

As far as I know, it's still coming. I wouldn't worry about it - the Air version is the one most hardcore gamers have been waiting for, they won't abandon it 😉

I sure hope they don't. At this rate, Apple will announce the Air 3 before GameVice gets the Air 2 version on the market.

I'd be surprised if the iPad Air 3 is built significantly different from the current versions. The Gamevice would probably work with it

trdn89 wrote:

This is a long shot, but does anyone know if there's a way to use the Gamevice to turn pages in Kindle/Instapaper/Goodreader/Reeder/etc.? The Gamevice's form factor is really conducive to reading in bed, and it'd be super convenient to be able to flip pages (ideally using the L/R triggers) or scroll down a page without having to paw at the screen. Anyone know if there's a way to make this happen?

Hi, The Apps themselves would need to be updated to support the feature you mentioned, i agree it would be a nice addition, as you say the form of Gamevice suits itself to a reading in bed.
Best thing to do is contact the App developers with the idea of MFi implementation.
Or suggest to Gamevice themselves as to forward the idea to the App developers.

Ok now we know iPad mini 4 is same size as mini 2 but with air 2 power, my question should I wait it out for air 3 model of gamevice or get current gamevice and get a mini 4.  Price isn't an issue I'll just give my air 2 to my wife.  Well just thought of a third option, buy a stand alone pad just to focus on Apple TV.

Amacon18 wrote:

Ok now we know iPad mini 4 is same size as mini 2 but with air 2 power, my question should I wait it out for air 3 model of gamevice or get current gamevice and get a mini 4.  Price isn't an issue I'll just give my air 2 to my wife.  Well just thought of a third option, buy a stand alone pad just to focus on Apple TV.

My concern is the Mini 4 is 3.2mm longer than the Mini2 and also 1.4mm thinner..Will it fit in the GameVice?

image.jpg2_zpsnyajykpc.jpg

Also the Mini4 is not as powerful as the Air2 as its only got an A8 over the Air2's A8X
image.jpg1_zpsrkkyhzho.jpg

Thanks for making up my mind, lol no mini 4 I'll keep my air 2.  Now to decide wait out for gamevice that might never come or go with stand alone controller that could work with both Apple TV and iPad.

Size-wise, it should work well enough. The design of the Gamevice allows for a lot of flexibility. But yeah, the Air 2 is a much more powerful device.

Stay tuned for a Gamevice update...