Premium games

Hi

Would it be a problem if you marked premium games on the list? There sure is a lot of them, but then I am old fashioned and can't accept those in-app purchases. I tried Modern Combat 5 and deleted if 15 minutes later, as there was first mention of those god damn coins.

What I consider premium game? It's a game where:

a) there are no additional purchases (think This War of Mine)
b) there is a single purchase for unlocking the full version (Valiant Hearts)

Hey,

I've thought about doing something like this before. The problem is, everyone has a slightly different definition of what "premium" is.

Is it premium if the game is sold in multiple episodes, but none are consumable, like the Ace Attorney series?
Is it premium if there IS consumable currency, but nobody in the world would ever have a need to buy it, like Infinity Blade?
Is it premium if it's a one-time payment and no IAP, but there are ads and "connect to facebook" spam, like Rayman?

It's hard to please everyone. Personally, I'd say the top two on that list are okay with me and the bottom style is offensive to me, but others might disagree.

Thanks for the reply.

Personally, I ask myself: is this a game? or is this a business model hidden in a shiny coat? AppStore looks much worse when you look at it like this.

I forgot about episodic games, but taking ideas from the past "premium" in my book is something that would be sold as a retails version or shareware version.

Ultimately, I'm hesitant to call out a premium or freemium distinction, because some "premium" games do things I find offensive (any that include facebook spam and ads) and some "freemium" games really aren't bad at all (Crossy Road).

I think what I need to do is make sure the Editor's Choice section is kept more complete and up-to-date. That section gives me a lot more discretion with recommending apps - I can make sure that good premium games make the list and good freemium games do as well, but bad actors on both sides get gated out.

The presence of Modern Combat 5 on the list made me install it 😊

anyway, I hope my feedback is valuable.

coryza wrote:

The presence of Modern Combat 5 on the list made me install it 😊

anyway, I hope my feedback is valuable.

Yeah, even with all it's garbage, it's still the best MFi controller supported shooter. Sadly 😢

Feedback is always valuable, I appreciate it a lot! Knowing where I need to focus my energy is important. Feedback I agree with reinforces what I need to be doing. Feedback I disagree with causes me to actually think over and write out why I disagree, which is also helpful to understanding what I need to do!