Twin Stick Shooters

I mainly play twin stick shooters (such as Inferno 2, Xenowork, and Space Marshals) The actual list of twin stick shooters I have is longer but, unfortunately, not many supoprt MFi. (I wish developers would go back and patch their games!)

I have an iPhone 6 and and iPad 4. My goal is extreme portability as I travel a lot.

A few questions:

Will the SteelSeries Stratus function well for twin stick shooters?
Have you had any success getting it to work with iOS 9?
If you don't recommend the Stratus, can you recommend a better controller for my combination -- playing on either device?

Thank you! 😊

Hey Escaped,
Steelseries Status is "meh" for twin stick shooters, what i mean by "meh" is that it's functional.

The sticks are too small & too close together, they also do not roll smooth like the larger MFi Controllers such as the MadCatz C.T.R.L.i etc.

So the experience is not as enjoyable as it is on a larger gamepad, i'm playing XenoWerk now with Stratus on iOS9 & it's way better with a larger controller than it is with this.

It sounds like you are a bit of an expert at them so i wouldn't recommend the Smaller Stratus for serious Dual Stick Action, even though it is conveniently small to throw in a bag.
If it's portability you are after,then i reccomend you go with the "C.T.R.L.i Micro" version, yeh it's bigger than the Stratus but its also smaller than all the other MFi Controllers available, plus the dual sticks are spot on.
I too enjoy them a lot so here's a list of MFi controller compatible dual stick shooters we are keeping track of. MFi4Gamerz Dual Stick Shooter List maybe theres 1 or 2 there you not played yet?

Last edited by MFiGamer (Sep 21 3:37 AM)

Sounds like the Mad Catz Micro is the best choice. I was also looking at the Horipad but it's difficult to justify the expense. The Horipad also lacks triggers. While I may never use those, it's kind of weird to pay more for a controller only to get less functionality.

Brainstorming off my first cup of coffee:

Any controller developers reading these forums? 😊

I wish someone made a controller that simply clamp-ons to the sides of a device.  That way a person can use all of the real estate of the touch screen for its many changing buttons, yet have the precision movement with sticks and/or additional buttons. I imagine a clamp system that is case or device 'agnostic'. Perhaps with a pass-through cabling system that hooks up to the lightning connector for ultimate precision - not requiring additional batteries, etc. Hmm .. it could even be a controller that is connected in the middle by clamping both sides to itself, but can be split in half -  making for two pieces. Giving a person the choice to clamp (the split-sides) to a device/case or anything else. A simple padded sunglasses style carrying case with matching molded shapes could be used for storage of the device, cables, etc,

With a system like that one could choose to either stand up the iPad or iPhone, playing with a separate controller, or clamp the device to the sides of the device -- perfect for when in public transportation, a plane, etc. The clamp mechanism is key so that it can be used with nearly case style or tablet size -- or a mini version that can be used interchangeably with phones and tablets.

What made me think of this was the following gadget:

https://tenonedesign.com/mountie.php

So that's used to mount a tablet so a laptop but in principle a similar system could be done for a controller to a tablet (or a phone) whereas I'm thinking the controllers two halves can clamp together forming a seamless single unit if desired. I suppose the outer shape of the clamp could be designed in such a way that one half can clamp over the other (left or right - it doesn't matter which one) to make a solid looking unit.

Imagine something like this:

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2004/07/21 … ollers.jpg

Now, transform that into the MFi standards, instead of a grip it uses a mounting system, and it able to connected to itself.

Something similar but far less portable:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6858/_DSC1572.JPG

The cabling could use a wind-up spring kind of system (like the ones you see with the portable phone chargers) where it provides just enough tension to keep the cables from dangling everywhere but enough to connect the two devices (behind the tablet / phone) and to connect a cable from one controller half to the lightning port. If the cables were simply something like micro usb to lightening - so to speak - they could be replaced by other cables if the person so chooses.

Or to put simply: Imagine the Moga Ace Power had a clamping system to attach to any device, combined with short springy cable system (connecting the two units and to the device), yet still able to connect together: http://www.mogaanywhere.com/ace/

I suppose another way to do this would to make a Three Piece System.

Two clamping controllers (left and right)

Middle adjustable plastic piece (that has two sides that can pull  out to shrink or expand -- think keyboard drawer, expanding mop handles, etc.) Or it can simply be two pieces and one goes into the other (clicking inside for size adjustment) -- though that won't be quite as appealing due to lack of visual symmetry.

Modes:

Single unit = Two controller pieces clamp to center (expandable?) piece.

Two unit = Two controller pieces clamp to each side of a device, center piece put away in storage. For what it's worth the center piece itself could serve additional purposes - cable storage for instance - unless cost is prohibitive.

One last thought ...

It would be nice to see some kind magnetic resistance system vs. the typically archaic spring system. A spring reminds me of a needle riding the groove of a record. Every time it's used, it's going to wear down and become less accurate and its destined to be broken. A company could coin-it, standing out from the competition, as something like "Forever Perfect" because it stays accurate and efficient without the constant spring wear.

Back On Topic:

I was also considering grabbing these to see if they will help with the twin stick shooter thing - especially since precision in sticks is the primary goal.

https://tenonedesign.com/controlpad.php

Do they actually work for my kind of needs? Basically, I want tactile feedback for twin stick shooters. Will they stick on to my Otterbox Defender's built-in screen protector?

Now onto my second cup coffee. 😊

Last edited by escapedturkey (Sep 21 11:58 AM)

Hey escaped,

The HORIPad has triggers...there is nothing left out on this controller compared to all other Extended MFi Controllers.

It's basically as close to a PS2 DualShock Controller you can get, the triggers are the same feeling but are analog. (pressure sensitive)

306-1004-1007_i.jpg

Based on what you told me, the HoriPad is now on the top of my list. According to the review here it also has the smallest 'deadzone' which is good for twin stick shooters.

Thanks!

Yep, I agree the Horipad is the best:
https://forums.afterpad.com/viewtopic.php?pid=619#p619

Hey escapedturkey,

To echo what others have said, ignore the Stratus. The sticks are way too tiny and close together, which is the exact opposite of what you want in a dual-stick shooter! Plus the rubber tips fall off. Not a good design.

The Stratus XL is better, but the surface of the sticks isn't quite as grippy as would be ideal.

The Mad Catz controllers are solid for dual-stick shooters, and the staggered analog stick layout gives your fingers room to breathe.

The Horipad is my personal favorite, with the best analog sticks out of any of these controllers. Only downsides are that it isn't particularly portable and it doesn't have a way to clip your iPhone to it.

I've been testing a portable controller that should be hitting the market soon. It has analog nubs instead of real sticks, though, so you'd probably be better served grabbing one of the existing controllers instead of waiting.

MFiGamer wrote:

Hey escaped,

The HORIPad has triggers...there is nothing left out on this controller compared to all other Extended MFi Controllers.

It's basically as close to a PS2 DualShock Controller you can get, the triggers are the same feeling but are analog. (pressure sensitive)

PS2 had pressure sensitive buttons as well, actually. Everything was pressure sensitive, just like on the MFi controllers!

Strangely, the PS4 has removed this pressure sensitivity on everything but the triggers and analog sticks.