Will the new Apple TV still support air play and mirroring?

Will the new Apple TV still have air play mirroring? The reason I'm asking is I play most of my games by mirroring from my iPhone to the current gen Apple TV.  I imagine not all developers will redo their games to support the new Apple TV, so that's where mirroring would still come in handy so I could still play my old iPhone games that are not supported in the new App Store on the new Apple TV.  I just want to be able to have that option.  Thoughts?

Airplay mirroring is still one of the main reasons to own an Apple TV. Since they are still selling the old model, I imagine they won't be taking away features anytime soon. Plus, with improved Wi-Fi, I wonder if that will help with lag any. I kinda doubt it, since the direct connection with the previous model probably had enough throughput, but you never know.

Airplay mirroring works flawlessly on the new AppleTv, being playing around with it last night.
Tested an older iphone5S running Mikey Shorts and a connected MFi controller to the iphone..
Mirrored it to the new AppleTv.
(This setup is a Good test combination for revealing latency)
Pleased to say it works flawlessly there seems to be zero lag! And mikey made those jumps every time!

Also tested Dead effect2 a 3D heavy game (intensive GPU/CPU load)...again worked great!

Also tried basic going into the camera on the iphone, switching to video, then mirroring that, again great although not perfect but very close.(seemed to be an occasional small stutter)

Whilst mirroring though the games where not fullscreen i tried setting the "overscan to off" in the mirroring settings on the AppleTv but didnt seem to change anything no matter what i set it to. Auto/on/off all where the same result.

When mirroring the camera from the iphone, photo mode had the black bars on the TV .. But video mode was fullscreen.. Any ideas kev?

Last edited by MFiGamer (Nov 01 4:05 AM)

This sounds really encouraging! Especially since I use a 5s ?

Interesting. I actually don't see the same results.

For me, the new Apple TV 4 AirPlays about as well as the Apple TV 3 revision A. Maybe a little bit smoother, but NOT a night-and-day difference.

It does not appear to be compressing the video with H265. Wouldn't surprise me if it's actually using the same video compression algorithm as the previous version. The iPad resolution still appears limited to 720p, which makes it blurry compared to iPhones.

The aTV3rA was already a noticeably better experience than previous Apple TVs, due to the fact it makes a direct P2P connection between the iOS device and the Apple TV.

For what it's worth, the Lightning-to-HDMI adapter still works far better. Smoother, more responsive, and not limited to 720p. I'm actually surprised about this - I was expecting the new Apple TV to switch to H265 and surpass the bandwidth of the Lightning cable.